- Event Summary: The webinar is to be made up of two parts: 1. ILTM: Asia Pacific and The Global Travel Recovery, prepared by ILTM, Barton and Wealth-X, updates by ILTM HQ, and JNTO; and 2. Learnings from Destinations and Properties that successfully opened doors post-COVID; inviting 2 Japanese & 2 global hospitality brands to hear of their on-site experiences and findings. Each segment will consist of a presentation followed by a Q&A session inviting the audience.
Date / Time: Monday July 12th, 2021, 15:00pm~19:00pm (Japan Standard Time)
Part 1：15:00pm〜17:00pm / Part 2：17:15pm〜19:00pm
Webinar Tool: ZOOM Live Streaming. Content will be available post-event, via on-demand platform Vimeo or YouTube, with sign up.
Language: English & Japanese. Bilingual MC and simultaneous interpretation available during the event. ILTM APAC report translated into Japanese will be available with sign up to the webinar.
- Part 1
- ILTM APAC and Cannes: Enthusiasm in the near horizon
- Greetings from President/CEO of Ohta Publications Co., Ltd. Mr. Sam Ohta
- Greetings from COO of TARO/Ohta Publications Ms Nana A. Kinno (MC)
- Exclusive updates from ILTM!
The latest on the global luxury travel trends, from ILTM HQ.
Guest Speaker: Mr. Harry Fowles (ILTM Asia Sales Manager)
- Welcome message from ILTM Japan Office
Guest Speaker: Ms. Kyong-Mi Kim (ILTM Japan)
- "ILTM: Asia Pacific and The Global Travel Recovery" and Japan
The author, explores the impact of the pandemic on the wealthy, who they are, why they are important and what they expect from Japan.
Guest Speaker: Mr. Winston Chesterfield (Founder, Barton Consulting Group/author of report)
- The latest update by JNTO
On the anticipated inbound luxury travel sector. When can we expect for travel to begin again?
Guest Speaker: Mr. Kazuhiro Ito (Global Projects Department Executive Director, JNTO)
- Part 2
- Insights from Japanese and Global luxury hospitality specialists
- Successful recovery with tourism, and popular resorts!
On the brand’s firstly opened resorts since COVID: Maldives, and now most popular destination, Vietnam, among the new-HNW demographics. A special focus on their unique ESG efforts that may have led to a successful recovery with tourism, and other safety measures, etc.
Guest Speaker: Mr. Jeffrey Smith (VP Sustainability, Six Senses Group)
- ESG Effort: The soul of the Six Senses Laamu, MUI
Guest + local community + environment, in harmony = sustainability.
Guest Speaker: Ms Phillipa Roe (Six Senses Laamu in Maldives / Marine Biologist & Research Coordinator for the Maldives Underwater Initiative, MUI)
- Preparing for the Return of the Luxury Travellers...
Luxury Travel sector is expected to recover first, above all others. Getting to know your guests, encouraging communication, and providing a well-thought out customized service is the key to attaining this market, and success. Here are but few insights gathered from our Hotel's Team.
Guest Speaker: Mr. Takahiro Sueyoshi (General Manager, The Capitol Hotel Tokyu)
- Global Ryokan Branding
'Ryokan branding' as a unique contributor in uplifting the local industry -- a story teller, connecting the Ryokans' long family history and intimacy to the local community with the luxury travellers.
Guest Speaker: Mr. Hiroki Fukunaga (Founder, The Ryokan Collection)
- A Return to a Cleaner Post-COVID World
On the first wave of HNW inbound tourists, seeking Wellness. Japan's top popular destinations revealed!
Guest Speaker: Ms. Yoriko Soma (President & CEO, Concept Asia, Inc.)
- Closing Remarks
MC: Ms Nana A. Kinno
ILTM Asia Sales Manager
Mr. Harry Fowles
- Harry is the Asia Sales Manager representing the ILTM brand, out of the UK -- where he manages the relationship with the JNTO and all Japanese participants. Harry is really looking forward to welcoming Japanese luxury companies to Cannes in December as a physical event! ILTM Cannes is in its 20th edition this year and will be taking place between December 7th -10th, 2021.
Barton Consulting Group Founder
author of report
Mr. Winston Chesterfield
- Winston founded Barton Consulting Group in 2019. His specialist focus is the ultra-wealthy and the luxury and prestige sectors that serve these individuals. He has worked with some of the world's most prestigious brands such as Aman, Belmond, Boodles, Christie's, Grosvenor, Gulfstream, Patek Philippe, and Porsche. Winston offers specialist insight and consulting that harnesses the knowledge of both luxury consumers and the nature of the luxury market.
Global Projects Department
Executive Director, JNTO
Mr. Kazuhiro Ito
- Ito is an Executive Director at Japan's National Tourism Organization (JNTO), one of the most influential bodies in travel in Japan. He started his travel career at the travel agency Kinki Nippon Tourist Co., Ltd. before joining the JNTO team in 2004. After nine years with the company, Ito was promoted to the JNTO Bangkok office as the Executive Director, where he served until 2018 when he was promoted to JNTO's Global Marketing, Executive Director position.
Six Senses Group
Mr. Jeffrey Smith
- Jeffery joined the luxury travel company Six Senses in 2016. As the VP of Sustainability at Six Senses, Jeffery draws on a decade of experience launching community-based tourism programs, where he focused on capacity building and facilitating connections between travelers, indigenous peoples, and the natural world. He holds degrees in Master of Environment and Sustainability from Western University and Bachelor of Applied Science from the University of Waterloo. His wide experience also includes ecosystem risk management, municipal planning advisory, and elephant conservation.
Six Senses Laamu in Maldives, Marine Biologist & Research Coordinator for the Maldives Underwater Initiative, MUI
Ms Phillipa Roe
- Phillipa (aka Pip) started out as a scuba diving instructor, using the profession as an opportunity to travel, having completed her undergraduate degree in Social Anthropology. Her experience witnessing mass coral bleachings inspired her to temporarily hang up her fins and return to the UK to complete a Masters in Tropical Marine Biology. She's now the Head Marine Biologist and Research Coordinator of the Maldives Underwater Initiative (MUI) at Six Senses Laamu, where she oversees conservation projects.
The Capitol Hotel Tokyu
Mr. Takahiro Sueyoshi
- Sueyoshi joined Tokyu Corporation in 1985 and completed marketing courses at Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration. In 1997, he opened Pan Pacific Hotel Yokohama, and was then appointed Vice President of Mauna Lani Resort in Hawaii. Returning to Japan, he served as GM of Tokyu hotels throughout Japan and, in 2015, was appointed Executive and Marketing Director of Tokyu Hotels. He has held his current position since April 1, 2017.
The Ryokan Collection
Mr. Hiroki Fukunaga
- Fukunaga is the founder and CEO of The Ryokan Collection, the first luxury ryokan consortium in Japan. After having worked for a British luxury hotel group for 15 years, he launched The Ryokan Collection, which now has a membership of 47 small luxury ryokan, all of which meet strict criteria and have been carefully evaluated. Fukunaga has joined the Luxury Travel Market Committee of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), as Chief Secretariat from its beginning and has been selected as Committee Member of Cool Japan, the tourism National Project under Japanese Government.
President & CEO
Concept Asia, Inc.
Ms Yoriko Soma
- Soma is the Co-Founder and President of Conceptasia, a pioneer in Japan’s spa industry. A graduate of INSEAD, she has 15 years of experience in the spa industry involving becoming the first board member from Asia at the Global Wellness Summit (since 2017) and co-chair (since 2019 Singapore conference). Soma has been responsible for many firsts in the Wellness and Spa industry including: A resort/destination spa in Japan for Windsor Hotel & Spa; the Mandara Spa in Tokyo; Spa Finder Japan; and also launched several international brand’s spa product line (sole distributor) in Japan. She is fluent in English and Japanese, and completed a course in Mandarin from Hong Kong University. Soma’s most recent accomplishment is her published book J-Wellness, in 2020.